Monday, October 15, 2012

Hampton's Style Chair Makeover

Okay, so I went a little crazy on the chair makeovers this weekend. This was another chair that was in great condition that was given to me. I liked the structure and the shape of the back, but hated the colors. I knew that this chair would look awesome in a bright color with a new seat.

Here's the before:
I started by taking the seat off of the chair. I had to flip it over and unscrew it from the bottom. The fabric covering the seat was glued on, but I could feel wood and a cushion underneath. I just went for it and cut the fabric right off. The cushion and wood separated easily.




After the seat was removed, I took the entire chair apart and cleaned the wood and spread all of the pieces out on a great plastic wrap I picked up from Joanne's Fabric. It's reusable and great for messy projects. I used a professional mint colored spray paint with a primer included. I chose a matte paint incase I later wanted to distress the paint a bit. 



I used a spray mount with a dark brown striped fabric to reupholster the seat. I loved the contrast of the brown and mint. It's masculin, yet feminine. It has a very Hampton's like feel...I was inspired to make this chair after a few visits to the Fairmont Hotel's newest club Bungalow in Santa Monica. The interior/exterior is completely like a Polo meets Ralph Lauren beach bungalow. 











No comments:

Post a Comment