Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Damask Nightstand Makeover

I have been in need of a new nightstand for quite some time now. I knew I wanted something with a bit of character that I could refinish and make my own rather than spending a fortune on something my style!


I found this ugly, beat up, brown night stand on the side of the road. Once I knew it wasn't missing any pieces, and the structure was decent, I knew I had to take it home! The size was crucial, as there is a minimal space for a nightstand by my bed.













I started by sanding the entire piece by hand. I didn't go crazy, but definitely made sure the texture was rough and the "glow" on the wood was removed. I then used one coat of spray primer all over so that the paint would stick!














Since the nightstand was originally missing a knob, I purchased a gem style knob for under $4.00 at Home Depot. I then picked up a high-gloss, black spray paint for about $8.00 (one can was enough for two coats.) I covered the piece completely, making sure to remove the drawer and paint it separately. Once I completed two coats of black, I left the nightstand to dry for about six hours.











I wanted to break up the black a bit more so I chose a chic wrapping paper (any style of paper would work) to line the inner shelf of the nightstand, as well as line the drawer with the same paper- a trick my mom taught me! I used a spray adhesive to make sure the paper would stick well.













After making sure the black paint was completely dry, I used painters tape to divide the top of the nightstand into stripes. I wanted to break up the black and add a modern touch. You can never go wrong with black and white stripes! I used a brush and white paint from a can to paint in between the taped lines. I chose to use a brush for this step so that I could avoid spraying white spray paint all over the already finished black coat.











Lastly, I used a square glass table top, which I also
found- to protect the top of the stand and make it look just a little more finished!
















I am obsessed with this functional, and beautiful nightstand. Now I have a creative piece to remember, rather than an expensive price tag! The entire piece was done & fabulous for under $20.00, how could you beat that?!


4 comments: